Karine Schlanger was born in Buenos Aires, Argentina, in 1957. She studied psychology at the University of Buenos Aires and graduated in 1982. Once she finished her degree, she traveled to Palo Alto to learn more about what the MRI group was working on and decided to stay. She first worked in a center for eating disorders, applying MRI’s brief therapy model. She received her master in counseling psychology from San José State University in 1987 and her license to practice therapy in California in 1991.
Karin speaks five languages, including Spanish, English, German, French, and limited Italian.
In addition to being the founder and director of Groupo Palo Alto and its Room to Talk service offerings, at the MRI Karin is Senior Research Fellow since 1994, and Director of the Brief Therapy and Latino Brief Therapy Centers since 2008.
As a counseling professional, Karin teaches, coaches, trains and publishes in her field. Her teaching credentials are impressive: she was an adjunct clinical instructor at Stanford University’s Department of Psychiatry and Behavioral Services for 2008 to 2010. And she has been a supervising associate professor at the School of family Therapy, Department of Psychiatry at the Hospital de San Pau y la Santa Creu in Barcelona, Spain since 2011. More recently, Karin has focused on growth of awareness by creating joint ventures with other area service providers, creating joint ventures with Latin American and European universities, as well as coaching, and holding conferences on the subject in Paris, France and Santiago, Chile. Much in demand as a trainer and coach, she has trained professionals in Brief Therapy in more than 18 countries throughout Europe, Japan, Latin and North America.
- 2011 La terapia Familiar Sistémica en el trastorno mental grave: una experiencia en el Hospital de San Pau de Barcelona, in Clínica Contemporánea, Barcelona, Spain,Vol. 1, n.° 3, 2010 – Págs. 203-217, with T. Morataia, A. Perez, J. Caceres, P. Macris
- 2011 Problem-solving Brief Therapy: the Palo Alto Approach to couples, in Case Studies in Couples Therapy, edited by David Carson and Montserrat Casado, New York, Taylor and Francis
- 2011 La diferencia cultural en Terapia Breve de Palo Alto, with Noemí del Prado Sánchez, in REDES, Barcelona, Spain
- 2009 Focused Problem Resolution – Selected papers of the MRI Brief Therapy Center, with Richard Fisch, MD, Wendel Ray, Ph.D., Zeig, Tucker and Theisen, Phoenix, AZ
- 2007 fight club: staying away from what does not work, with Allison Baske Journal of Brief, Strategic & Systemic Therapies, vol. 1, issue 2, Nov. 2007
- 2005 Problem–Solving Across Cultures: Our Latino Experience, with Barbara Anger–Díaz, Journal of Systemic T herapies, Vol. 23, issue 4, p. 11–27
- 2004 Strategic Maneuverability: a Surprising Way for Leaders to Stack the Deck and Do More with Less, with Steven Feinberg, Ph.D. , www.stevenfeinberginc.com/articles
- 1999 Brief Therapy with intimidating cases., Changing the Unchangeable Jossey Bass, Inc., San Francisco (with Richard Fisch, MD) Also published in Norway, Japan, Spain (Latin America), Italy and France.
- 1998 Who really wants to change? Working briefly with a customer, in The Counselor, July–August. Publication of the National Association of Alcoholism and Drug Abuse Counselors (with Lisbeth Martin, Ph.D.)
- 1998 Looking back, looking forward: reflections in the MRI mirror, in Evolving Brief Therapies: Essays in honor of John H. Weakland, edited by Wendel Ray and Steve De Shazer, Geist and Russel, Atlanta Georgia
- 1998 The Brief Therapy approach of the Palo Alto Group, in Casebook in Marriage and Family Therapy, edited by Frances Prevatt, Brooks/Cole Publishing Company
- 1996 A Threat of Suicide: The Client’s or the Therapist’s Problem? Afta Newsletter, Number 63, Spring 1996 (with Barbara Anger–Díaz)
- 1995 John Weakland, La antropología del cambio, with Marcelo R.–Ceberio, in Perspectivas Sistémicas, number 39, November/February, Buenos Aires, Argentina
- 1994 Prologue to La Escuela de Palo Alto, by J. J. Wittezaele and T. García, with Paul Watzlawick, Herder Editores, Barcelona, Spain
- 1993 Prologue to Trastornos del Comer, by R. Crispo, E. Figueroa and D. Guelar, with Paul Watzlawick, Editorial Herder, Barcelona, Spain
- 1993 Historia de las Instituciones de Salud Mental: el Mental Research Institute en Palo Alto with Paul Watzlawick. Revista de Aiglé, June issue, Buenos Aires, Argentina.
- 1992 MRI: con 30 años de historia, adónde va?. With R. Fisch, P. Watzlawick and J. Weakland. Perspectivas Sistémicas, April /May, Buenos Aires, Argentina.
- 1991 Il MRI e la sua istoria. In: El arte del cambiamento, Giorgio Nardone, Florence, Italy.
- 1989 L’esperienza dell’Eating Disorders Center, MRI, Palo Alto. Annals of I Disturbii del Comportamento Alimentare: Tecniche di Intervento, Modena, Italy.
- 1989 Influencia de los Medios Masivos de Comunicación en el Sistema Familiar y de la Infancia. Anals of Childhood and Society, Ministerio de Asuntos Sociales, Madrid, Spain.
- 1985 El Tratamiento Interaccional de los Trastornos Conductuales de la Alimentación. Acta Psiquiátrica y Psicológica de América Latina, Vol.30 (1984): 220–228.